Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Wow, this sucks.

The idea of having and keeping a budget. Great Idea, but to bad I cant stick to the damn thing. Last paycheck somehow little things keep popping up, and this paycheck is no different. Here I though with Chris being gone there was no way Id go over budget, but I was wrong. I hate when that happens.



It started with toys r us having there buy 2 get the 3 free on all video games, which I couldn't pass up. I mean with Christmas right around the corner and 2 boys that love their video games. That was wrong turn number one. Then Chris's boat pulled into San Diego and my husband with his dire need for an Internet connection decided to get a hotel room. Wrong turn number two, though I don't blame him for wanting a bed not the size of a cot with people sleeping over and under him in bunks, the coldness of the boat and the crappy shower system. So after these wrong turns I re-did the budget and set off to the store with the mindset that there was no way Id waiver again. How wrong was I.



It started at the Navy exchange. I picked up pj's for Hannah which were not on the list but they were fleece nightgowns and so soft and cute that I couldn't resist. She is a growing girl after all. Then off to the shoes where the lady had no idea what she was doing telling me my daughter wore a size 7. Hm, that's why she just outgrew a 9 huh? I never knew feet got smaller instead of bigger. Then the lady took off not to reappear for assistance (they keep the shoes in back so its not like I could do much) So I browsed the clearance rack and found a decently cute pair of sketchers shoes that would work. After grabbing a baby shower card and a few cards for Chris's patrol box I was on my way out the door happy I was doing so good, but that's when I saw the cutest hello kitty doll that would be perfect for Hannah's stocking, so I grabbed that up. Then as I was walking to the register for the second time I saw they had Columbia jackets and Jordan was in dire need of a new winter jacket and it was almost 50 dollars off so I had to get that as well, I mean breaking the budget is OK when what you are buying is a necessity right? After that I knew I had to stop and dragged my heels past the oh so wonderful display of Christmas decorations by Jim Shore who I love and paid where I ended up being 70 dollars over budget.



Then it was off to Costco, where might I add I made my budget higher then normal because I knew I never met my budget there. Guess I should of set it higher. They had rows of Christmas presents and the cutest girl dresses and books and DVDs. So yeah, my $70 dollar Costco budget turned into a $130 dollar trip. Guess that means my pampered chef stuff will have to wait, but now I'm done, no really, I am. No more unnecessary stuff this pay period. Maybe if I just lock myself into my house and don't go out all will be okay and I can salvage what is left of my budget.

I know that people don't care about how I spend my money, but I do. With Christmas coming and Birthdays soon after that I would like to keep a firm hand on staying in budget. Luckily the kids are almost done with the exception of a video game that's not out yet and stocking stuffers. Though I have noticed I keep picking up extra gifts that I see which I don't think is helping my budget either. The kids don't need that many gifts, plus are small house cant hold what we already have much less a bunch more new toys.

So I am going back to the drawing board and re-doing my budget, one last time and this time I will stick to it, that's a promise. Now all I have to do is stay out of Costco till I need things there and I should be OK.

No comments: