Wednesday, August 27, 2008

4 months and lots of money later

I started to freak out today. Why? well Christmas of course. Yes, you heard me right, I said Christmas. I was at Costco and what did I see but Christmas stuff. Ribbons for trees and these creepy stuffed Christmas themed things. It got me thinking that Christmas really isn't that far away. Its almost September which means in 4 months December will be here. Yikes. See its around this time that things really seem to run together. Summer comes to an end, we do the school clothes shopping, and school supply shopping and the getting ready for school. We have the first day, and then the first month has passed of homework and tests and studying and before you know it Halloween is here. You get the kids all dressed up and off we go trick or treating. Then its Thanksgiving, the big turkey dinner and all the fixings and we all know what follows the day after thanksgiving. Black Friday. The day I think most people start to freak out that Christmas is right around the corner Not me, I'm the type of gal who plans way ahead, budgets way ahead and starts looking for deals way ahead. I'm a planner, even though I sometimes get caught up in the whole "days run together" thing.

So If I am such a planner why am I freaking out? How about the never ending things that need to be bought? I don't work, so its a one income type of family here. You add the fact that we just bought Jordan new glasses, I need new contacts, the dog needs her yearly shots, Hannah needs a new mattress, I need to pay for and pick up my Dyson (hey, our vacum broke and I really wanted one, have for a long time, so just hold your tongue) and we are about to put new tires on the van. This is just a few of the small things we need to buy, or have already bought. Id also like to get family pictures done, as well as pictures of the kids, since I have been putting it off forever in hopes my daughter would get hair soon, but after waiting 2 years I think its time to say "the hell with the hair, lets just take the damn pictures already" and just do it. I even have the outfits bought. So where am I supposed to find the cash for presents for the kids, Chris, in laws, parents, and everyone else we buy for? We will, don't get me wrong, its just I'm feeling the squeeze and it really sucks.

Now I'm wishing I could get a job. The school is hiring and has some good positions at a good hourly rate but the rate of day care for Hannah isn't worth it, next year I will be a working gal, but this year I will clip coupons and pinch Penny's to make Christmas happen, and no, Credit cards are not an option. We have a strict no credit card policy, we have one and its for emergencies. I also refuse to dip into savings.

See, now I sound like were broke, which we aren't. We have money, its just with everything else, as I'm sure some of you can relate too its hard to make your money stretch. Growing kids, school expenses and all that good stuff aren't cheap. Did I mention I stress out way to much? I'm sure you got that already. My husband says I drive him nuts because I worry and stress more then anyone he knows. Anyone know of a good support group for that?

OK, I'm done ranting about Christmas. I'm silly, I know, but hey, its who I am.

No comments: